My love of cake runs deep and I’m not ashamed to say, I’m a sucker for a pretty looking cupcake…seriously I can’t resist once my eye is turned! Too often I find many cupcakes actually have a really disappointing sponge to them, too dry, really dull and not worth the hype, so its taken me a while to perfect this super light and springy little cake but I can promise you this is the best recipe so far and is so fail safe!
Combine this with my seriously good buttercream and you are onto a winner!! Just try not to pipe buttercream straight into your mouth!
Vanilla Cupcake Sponge Ingredients – 12/14 cakes
- 125g Self raising flour
- 125g Caster sugar
- 125g unsalted room temp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp Bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 tbs Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla ext
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees and line your cupcake tin with cases
- Sift the flour and the sugar into the mixing bowl – sifting will ensure no lumps and make it super smooth
- Add the bicarb and just mix the dry ingredients together
- Add the soft butter and the 2 eggs and then mix until well combined
- Add the vanilla extract and then the milk
- Mix really well until a lovely pale colour
- Spoon into each case 2/3 full (leave room for rising)
- Bake for 20-22 mins
- Allow to cool fully before icing
Buttercream icing – Enough to cover 12 cakes
- 340g Icing sugar
- 150g Soft butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla ext
- 3 1/2 tsp milk
- Prep your piping bag with your chosen nozzle beforehand
- Pop your butter into the bowl and mix for a good 4ish minutes
- Sift 1/2 the icing sugar and really carefully mix on a low speed (at first) in with the butter, careful it all flies everywhere!!
- Sift the other half and mix again
- Add the vanilla ext and the milk to soften the buttercream, mix well until whippy and pale
- Put this delicious smooth mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto your cakes
Decorate as you wish! Writing this has made my drool!
Let me know if you make these or if you have any other recipes!!
Love Harriet x